16 January 2012

The Truth About Home Cold Sore Remedies

By Deverki Brabacicj Habib


Over-the-counter and prescription medications for oral herpes may be big business, but many of the estimated 145 million Americans infected with the HSV-1 virus rely on home cold sore remedies to treat their affliction. The reasons for this phenomenon vary as much as the individual sufferers themselves - running the gamut from financial considerations (home remedies often utilize inexpensive items found in most households) to choices based on idealogy. Just as the motivations for pursuing home treatment options vary, so too do the treatments. Despite this, it is possible to identify numerous similarities between the most-commonly practiced home remedies.

Important First Steps When an Outbreak Begins

At the first sign of an oral herpes outbreak, there are two important steps that you should immediately take to limit the eruption of cold sore blisters:

1. Cover the blisters and affected area with petroleum jelly, and...

2. Avoid pinching, squeezing, or otherwise unnecessarily touching the sores!

By following these two simple steps, you can greatly reduce the duration and severity of your outbreak. Applying petroleum jelly over the sores helps them to heal faster, makes it far less likely that they will become painfully infected with other bacteria, and makes it more difficult for the HSV-1 virus to spread to other sites. All three of these goals are further aided by not touching the sores.

Reducing the Length of the Outbreak

As anyone who has ever suffered through an episode of cold sores is well aware, once the outbreak has begun, there is no choice but to ride it out. While there is nothing that can stop the outbreak in its tracks, there are several cold sore home remedies that can reduce its duration and lessen its severity. Four common items, found in most households, have been known to assist in this process:

1. Cold milk

2. Ice

3. Licorice

4. Zinc lozenges

The topical application of milk (with a cotton ball) and ice directly to cold sores is known to reduce the pain and swelling caused by oral herpes blisters, and is further believed to be an effective agent in speeding up the healing process. Thanks to ingredients which stimulate the immune system, both licorice and zinc lozenges may be ingested in order to shorten the length of the herpes outbreak and abrupty halt the spread of the virus. Many effective home cold sore remedies make use of these items.

Reducing the Recurrence of Future Outbreaks

It bears repeating that herpes is incurable, and there is no way for an infected person to completely eliminate future outbreaks. The frequency of these outbreaks can be reduced, however, if care is taken to avoid the so-called "triggers" that bring about their onset. The triggers of outbreaks vary from person to person, but there are three extremely common ones:

1. Long periods of exposure to ultraviolet light

2. Prolonged episodes of stress

3. Long periods of fatigue

Researchers have found that a strong link exists between prolonged exposure to ultraviolet light (usually from direct sunlight, but also from tanning beds) and outbreaks of oral herpes. With this being the case, it is highly advisable that you wear sunblock on your lips whenever you are in direct sunlight, and avoid prolonged periods of exposure to UV rays. Because both stress and fatigue are known to trigger cold sore outbreaks, maintaining a healthy diet, exercising, and getting plenty of sleep are also helpful for avoiding future bouts with oral herpes.

While it is true that researchers differ on their opinions of home cold sore remedies, the material discussed in this article represents the basis for any number of self treatments practiced by many Americans who suffer from oral herpes.

If you decide to try any of the methods for treating a cold sore, outlined in this article, keep in mind that their relative effectiveness is likely to vary from person to person. Additionally, as is always the case, it is recommended that you solicit the opinion of a trained health care professional before beginning your treatment.


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
My name is Sarah Anik, some months ago I had s*x with the third guy in my life whom i was about to marry and now I have herpes. I couldn’t believe it because he wasn’t a random guy, he’s the closet guy I’ve had as a boyfriend, but it has been a never ending nightmare since. I’ve always believed in GOD and have asked him for forgiveness which is ironic.
I felt like killing myself with the taught of having a husband and family will be quite difficult and i felt like I’m not really in the room when people are talking. I didn’t know what to do and pretty much cry and pray every day to God for help and looking at my family with so much love and feeling that i have disappointed them even though they don’t know. Until God lead me to DR. SOLUTION online who promised to help me cure my disease through herbals. At first i didn't believe him, but to my greatest surprise i was cured completely by herbals, which medical doctor also verified that i was cured. Special thanks to DR. SOLUTION.
Don't be discourage because he that did it for me will also do it for you and you can contact him through his email address solutionhealinghome@gmail.com or text him on what'sapp, phone number +2348077683109 or visit his website http://www.healinghome.webs.com for more information.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home